Friday 13 May 2011

Evaluation - 3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Two media institutions that might distribute my music magazine would be Bauer Media and IPC Media. Bauer Media is a division of the Bauer Media Group. It is largest privately owned publishing group and offers 300 magazines in 15 different countries as well as online, TV and radio stations although it’s two main areas are magazine and radio. Because Bauer Media is a UK based institution, it would relate well to my target audience as my questionnaire results all came from people in the UK, and because Bauer Media distributes to 15 countries, my magazine could become well known and even more successful. The fact that it is focused mainly on magazines means that it is experienced in distributing to the right areas, and with magazines such as 'Kerrang' and 'Q' to their name they are an already well established brands that could boost my magazine to its full potential. Bauer Media Is also experienced in radio (Kiss FM), TV (The Box music channel) and the Internet, so my magazine could be advertised in these three areas. Being advertised on the Internet would greatly appeal to my target audience of teenagers aged 15 – 20, mostly males, and we could perhaps advertise on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Distribution could take place over the Internet as well making my magazine more widely available to my audience and those out of my main target audience. From my questionnaire results we can see that most people purchase music from download (i.e. ITunes, Napster), distributing and advertising over the Internet would allow my target audience to buy the music magazine and music at the same time, and I could advertise on these download websites.
Another suitable publisher would be IPC Media. IPC Media produces over 60 iconic media brands whose websites collectively reach over 20 million of their users each month. IPC Media has 3 divisions, IPC Inspire which focuses on appealing to men, IPC Connect which focuses on middle class women and IPC Southbank which is for more upmarket women. This means that overall IPC Media focuses mainly on women’s’ media products, the majority of their magazines relate to women, and none of the magazines for women are music based. This suggest they might be slightly less experienced than Bauer at reaching my target audience of teenagers aged 15 – 20, mostly males, as they are more focused on appealing to an older, more upmarket audience. IPC Inspire does produce the well known music magazine 'NME' which proves they are experienced in relating to a similar target audience as me, but this is the only music magazine the whole of IPC Media produces.

Overall I think Bauer is a much more suitable media institution to distribute my music magazine in the best and most efficient way.

No comments:

Post a Comment